Fall 2020 Housing Move-Out Information
All residence halls will stay open and accessible during winter break. If you are not returning to University Housing for the Spring 2021 Semester you will need to move out by Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 12 p.m. (noon). If you are moving out please sign up for a designated move-out time. Check your student email for the link to sign up. University Housing staff members will be entering student rooms to ensure that residential students are following safety and security guidelines
- Follow the winter closing checklist while completing the cleaning agreement with your roommates as to who will take care of the tasks.
- Dispose of all trash and recycle containers.
- Dispose of all perishable food in cabinets, refrigerators, and storage containers.
- Any perishable food items (meat, milk, cheese, etc.) left behind will be discarded.
- Unplug all personal electrical appliances and equipment (except main refrigerators in the Commons and Lofts).
- Unplug and defrost all mini-fridges. Defrosting a mini-fridge can take multiple days. Fridges *cannot* be left in bathtubs over break to defrost.
- Take all valuables home including medications and electronics.
- Open all blinds/curtains except University Lofts Floor 1
- Adjust your thermostat to 68° heat. Do not turn off the AC/heat completely.
- Turn off all lights.
- Lock all doors.
- Pick up all mail in your box and any packages that you may have received from the mailroom.
- Due to safety concerns related to COVID-19, bins will not be supplied by University Housing for fall move out or spring move in.
Graduating seniors participating in the Fall 2020 commencement ceremony must submit a Late Stay Request by Friday, November 20 by 5 p.m. You will be notified about the status of your request by Friday, December 4. Once approved by your RHD, the extension will last until Friday, December 18, 2020 at 12 p.m. The late stay request may be found at the website https://gsu.erezlife.com. University Housing will verify your participation as a commencement volunteer.
The University Commons Parking Deck and Piedmont North parking deck will be open for the duration of the winter break. Students who have paid for parking will be permitted to access the Commons and Piedmont North parking decks during the break.
If your room has a vacant space prior to your departure for the holiday break, you may receive a new or returning student as your roommate for the Spring Semester. Georgia State University Housing expects student rooms to be clean and welcoming for new roommates. If you have any questions about University Housing’s winter closing procedures, please feel free to contact your Resident Assistant (RA), Residence Hall Director (RHD), Assistant Hall Director (AHD) or Community Desk.
If you are not planning on returning to University Housing for the Spring Semester you will need to terminate your housing contract and return your key, mailroom key (if issued), and access card to the community desk in the lobby via an express checkout envelope. You may find the cancellation form here. Based on the fee schedule, you will be charged the spring housing fee based on the date you submit your termination form.
All residents who have canceled their spring housing are required to vacate their residence halls 24 hours after their last exam or by December 16, 2020 at 12 p.m. (Noon) whichever comes first. Please see the previous section for graduating seniors. Your access card will be deactivated if not returned by December 16. If you have not checked out by this time, you may be charged an improper checkout and/or late fee.
How to Formally Checkout of Your Room
- Sign up for a move-out time: you will receive an email from your Residence Hall Director
- Pick up an express checkout envelope with instructions at your community desk.
- No more than two individuals are permitted to assist with your move-out.
- Remove all belongings from your room – all drawers, cabinets, shelves, etc. should be empty and clean. (you will not have access to rooms upon checking out, don’t forget anything!)
- Remove garbage in or around the room and sweep and wipe all surfaces and floors.
- Set the thermostat running on 68 degrees’ heat.
- Pick up all mail and packages prior to moving out.
- Complete express checkout form and mail forwarding form (if applicable). They are located inside the express checkout envelope.
- Return your assigned room key, mailroom key (if assigned), and access card at the community desk using the express checkout process outlined in the express checkout envelope.
- Make sure you have moved out all of your belongings before returning your keys.
If you have paid for parking through University Housing, drop off your parking pass at the community desk and your parking will be canceled for you.
If you paid for parking at the University Lofts Parking Deck, please contact Auxiliary Services to learn about the parking cancellation process at email@example.com.
- Beyond the two individuals who may help you move out, no guests are permitted in University Housing.
- If you move out of your room without following the express checkout process, you may be subject to an improper checkout fee ($200). Additionally, if you move out of your room without turning in your keys and/or access card, you may be subject to the charge of replacing your key ($75) and/or access card ($30). University Housing will not be accepting mailed keys or access cards.
The 2021 – 2022 housing application will open in a few weeks. Keeper’s Day, a day in which you may sign up to keep your same room assignment for 2021 – 2022 and Seeker’s Days, days where you may sign up for a new room assignment for 2021 – 2022 will be held in the first few weeks of the spring semester. Residents must complete an application prior to participating in Keeper’s and Seeker’s Days.”