Fall 2019 Housing move-out schedule:
Wednesday December 18, 2019
All residence halls except for the University Lofts will close on Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 12 p.m. (noon). All residents are required to vacate their residence halls by 12 p.m. (noon) or 24 hours after their last final, whichever comes first. All doors will be locked and card access will be disabled at this time. University Housing staff members will be entering student rooms to ensure that residential students have followed all winter closing guidelines. Residence halls will reopen for the Spring semester on Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 9 a.m.
- Follow the winter closing checklist while completing the cleaning agreement with your roommates as to who will take care of the tasks.
- Dispose of all trash and recycle containers.
- Dispose of all perishable food in cabinets, refrigerators, and storage containers.
- Any perishable food items (meat, milk, cheese, etc.) left behind will be discarded.
- Unplug all personal electrical appliances and equipment (except main refrigerators in the Commons and Lofts).
- Unplug and defrost all mini-fridges. Defrosting a mini-fridge can take multiple days. Fridges *cannot* be left in bathtubs over break to defrost.
- Take all valuables home including medications and electronics. You will NOT be able to access the residence hall, parking deck, your mail/packages, or your belongings during the break.
- Open all blinds/curtains except University Lofts Floor 1
- Adjust your thermostat to 68° heat. Do not turn off the AC/heat completely.
- Turn off all lights.
- Lock all doors.
- Pick up all mail in your box and any packages that you may have received from the mailroom. Please note the last day mailrooms will receive mail/packages from mail carriers is Tuesday, December 17. The mailroom will start receiving packages again on January 10, 2020. Mail will be held by the mail carriers during the period the mail room is closed. (Edgewood Mailroom excluded)
- Friday, December 13 - Tuesday, December 17, 2019: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (last bin rented out at 5 p.m.)
- Wednesday, December 18, 2019: 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. (last bin rented out at 11 a.m.)
Graduating seniors and those who are participating in the Fall 2019 commencement ceremony must submit a Late Stay Request by Friday, November 22 by 5 p.m. You will be notified about the status of your request by Wednesday, December 4. Once approved by your RHD, the extension will last until Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 10 a.m. The late stay request may be found at the website https://gsu.erezlife.com. University Housing will verify your participation as a commencement volunteer.
The University Lofts will remain open for the duration of the winter break. The Edgewood mailroom will continue to operate out of the University Lofts during the break. The mailroom will be operating on a reduced winter break schedule.
The University Commons Parking Deck and Piedmont North parking deck will be closed for the duration of the winter break. Students will not be permitted to access the Commons and Piedmont North parking decks during the break. You can leave your car over the break, but if you will need your vehicle during the break you will need to take your car home for the whole break.
If your room has a vacant space prior to your departure for the holiday break, you may receive a new or returning student as your roommate for the Spring Semester. Georgia State University Housing expects student rooms to be clean and welcoming for new roommates. If you have any questions about University Housing’s winter closing procedures, please feel free to contact your Resident Assistant (RA), Residence Hall Director (RHD), Assistant Hall Director (AHD) or Community Desk.
If you are not planning on returning to University Housing for the Spring Semester you will need to terminate your housing contract at the Central Housing Office located at 75 Piedmont in Suite 110. Based on the fee schedule, you will be charged the spring housing fee based on the date you submit your termination form.
The 2020 – 2021 housing application will open in a few weeks. Keeper’s Day, a day in which you may sign up to keep your same room assignment for 2020 – 2021 and Seeker’s Days, days where you may sign up for a new room assignment for 2020 – 2021 will be held in the first few weeks of the spring semester. Residents must complete an application prior to participating in Keeper’s and Seeker’s Days.