Move In & Move Out
Spring 2018 Move-In
University Housing is excited that you will be living with us for the upcoming spring 2018 semester. New incoming spring 2018 residents will receive a detailed e-mail via their Georgia State e-mail account confirming their move-in date and time. All residents have until the first day of classes on Monday, January 8 at 9 a.m. to check into their residence hall assignment before being considered a no show. If a resident plans to arrive after January 8, 2018, they should contact University Housing. The spring 2018 move-in dates are:
New International Residents: Wednesday, January 3, 2018
New Residents: Friday, January 5, 2018
Returning Residents: Saturday and Sunday. January 6-7, 2018
During move-in, University Housing staff will guide students to the proper unloading locations in the parking decks and check in areas. We know this is an exciting time for you and your family; as a staff we will do everything we can to help you get moved in to your new home efficiently. University Housing will have a limited number of large bins available for $15 per hour and small bins for $10 per hour. It is encouraged that you bring your own hand trucks or equipment to facilitate the move-in process.
For unloading, please report to the following locations:
- University Commons: Commons Parking Deck (entrance on John Wesley Dobbs Ave)
- Piedmont North: Piedmont North Parking Deck (entrance on Piedmont Ave NE)
- University Lofts: Lofts Parking Deck (entrance on Piedmont Ave NE)
- Patton Hall & Greek Housing: Entrance on Piedmont Ave NE
- Piedmont Central: Entrance on John Wesley Dobbs Ave
When arriving at the unloading area, we request that only the student check in at the Community Desk or Lobby area while the driver secures a parking place for unloading. A photo ID (preferably, a Panther ID for students) should be available to facilitate the check in process.
After unloading, students will be required to move their vehicle to a local city pay parking lot. Please see list of non-affiliated parking options that are close in proximity to campus. Be sure to have cash on hand to cover the public parking fee. Students interested in parking in the Piedmont North or University Commons parking deck for the spring semester may contact the Housing Office for availability.
After Hours Check In
If you have to arrive after the designated check-in hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.), please follow the procedures below:
- Patton Hall and Greek Housing after-hours check-in: You are welcome to use the Patton Hall turnaround to drop off your belongings and will need to relocate your car to a local city pay parking lot. You can then proceed to the Patton Hall main entrance and check in at the community desk.
- The University Commons after-hours check-in: The parking deck gates will close at 8 p.m. After 8 p.m., you must use the intercom at the Parking Deck to speak to the Commons Security Officer who will provide you with temporary access to enter the parking deck. Drive up to parking level 1 (P1); enter the main double doors and the Community Desk will be on your left. You may proceed to the Community Desk and they will provide you with your apartment key and access card.
- The University Lofts after-hours check-in: The parking deck gate will close at 8pm. After 8pm, you may drive in to the parking deck and proceed to the Community Desk on the first floor. The desk staff will provide you your apartment key. After 8pm, you will not have access to the parking deck until the next morning. Temporarily park your vehicle in the city pay parking lot across the street from the Lofts. Go to the front door and knock. The desk staff will provide you with your apartment key and access card. After unloading, you will need to park your vehicle at the pay lot across the street for the night if you do not have your own access to the parking deck.
- Piedmont Central after-hours check-in: You are welcome to use the Piedmont Central driveway to drop off your belongings and will need to relocate your car to a local city pay parking lot. You can then proceed to the Piedmont Central main entrance and check in at the community desk.
- Piedmont North after-hours check-in: The parking deck gate will close at 8 p.m. After 8 p.m., you may park temporarily in the surface lot spaces in front of Piedmont North A. You may then proceed to the Community Desk of your assigned residence hall where you will receive your key and access cards. Upon unloading, you need to relocate your car to a local city pay parking lot nearby.
What Should You Bring?
Packing for your campus apartment or room can be a lot of fun, but be mindful not to pack too much. There is limited space in the residence halls and there is no extra storage available outside of your assigned space. To conserve space, it is a good idea to consider sharing larger items with your roommates. Contact your roommates prior to coming to campus so that you can agree upon the items that each of you will be responsible for bringing. We encourage you to visit our website for a detailed list of items to bring, items to share and prohibited items.