Move In & Move Out
All residence halls except for the University Lofts will close on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 12 p.m. (noon). All residents are required to vacate their residence halls by 12 p.m. (noon). All doors will be locked and card access will be disabled at this time. University Housing staff members will be entering student rooms to ensure that residential students have followed all winter closing guidelines. Residence halls will reopen for the Spring semester on Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 9 a.m.
Please follow these guidelines as you prepare to leave for winter break
- Follow the winter closing checklist with your roommates as to who will take care of the tasks.
- Dispose of all trash and recycle containers.
- Dispose of all perishable food in cabinets, refrigerators, and storage containers.
- Any perishable food items (meat, milk, cheese, etc.) left behind will be discarded.
- Unplug all personal electrical appliances and equipment (except main refrigerators in the Commons and Lofts).
- Unplug and defrost all mini-fridges. Defrosting a mini-fridge can take multiple days. Fridges *cannot* be left in bathtubs over break to defrost.
- Move all of your belongings into the middle of your room and place on your bed, so your belongings are not left against the walls. This will assist our pest control team who will come in over the break.
- Take all valuables home including medications and electronics. You will NOT be able to access the residence hall, parking deck, your mail/packages, or your belongings during the break.
- Open all blinds/curtains except University Lofts Floor 1
- Adjust your thermostat to 68° heat. Do not turn off the AC/heat completely.
- Turn off all lights.
- Lock all doors.
- Pick up all mail in your box and any packages that you may have received from the mailroom. Package delivery will conclude no later than Tuesday, December 11. The mailroom will start receiving packages again on January 10, 2019. Mail will be held during the period the mailroom is closed.
Bin Rental Checkout
We will have bin rentals available on the following dates/times. Bins can be rented from the centralized checkout location in your residence hall. If you prefer not to utilize these bins or in case of bins being in use when you arrive, please plan to also bring something of your own to use to assist you with your move out process.
- Friday, Dec. 7 - Tuesday, Dec. 11: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (last bin rented out at 5 p.m.)
- Wednesday, Dec. 12: 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. (last bin rented out at 11 a.m.)
University Lofts Residents
The University Lofts will remain open for the duration of the winter break. The mailroom will continue to receive mail and packages. The mailroom will be operating on a reduced winter break schedule in the University Lofts Multipurpose Room.
Commons and Piedmont North Parking Deck Closed During Winter Break
The University Commons Parking Deck and Piedmont North Parking Deck will be closed for the duration of the winter break. Students will not be permitted to access the Commons and Piedmont North parking decks during the break. You can leave your car over the break, but if you will need your vehicle during the break you will need to take your car home for the duration of the break.
Location for Loading Items
- Patton Hall and Greek Housing: The University Lofts parking deck gates will be open on December 8 through December 11 from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. On December 12 the parking gate will be open from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. It is suggested that family or friends helping you move, park their vehicles in the city pay parking lot across the street from Patton and Greek Housing. Do not park or load your vehicle in the fire lane between Patton and Greek Housing. Do not park your vehicle in the Grady Oncology parking lot next to the Lofts, as it will be towed.
- Piedmont Central: The courtyard gate will be open December 8 through December 11 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; and December 12 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Piedmont North: The front surface parking lot is available continuously.
University Commons: The parking deck gate will be open December 8 through December 11 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; and December 12 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- University Lofts: The University Lofts parking deck gates will be open on December 8 through December 11 from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. On December 12 the parking gate will be open from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. Those that are not moving out and have parking in the University Lofts Parking Deck will be able to park continuously in Parking Deck during winter break. It is suggested that family or friends helping you move, park their vehicles in the city pay parking lot across the street from the Lofts. Do not park your vehicle in the Grady Oncology parking lot next to the building, as it will be towed.
If your room has a vacant space prior to your departure for the holiday break, you may receive a new or returning student as your roommate for the Spring semester. Georgia State University Housing expects student rooms to be clean and welcoming for new roommates. If you have any questions about University Housing’s winter closing procedures, please feel free to contact your Resident Assistant (RA), Residence Hall Director (RHD), Assistant Hall Director (AHD) or Community Desk.
Late Stay Requests
Late stay requests forms for graduating seniors and commencement volunteers can be filled out online at erezlife. All forms must be submitted by Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 5 p.m. You will be notified via email your Residence Hall Director (RHD) regarding the status of your request. Once approved by your RHD, the extension will last until Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 12 p.m. Note University Housing will verify your participation as a graduating senior or commencement volunteer.
Welcome home Panthers! University Housing is excited that you will be living with us for the upcoming spring 2019 semester. New incoming spring 2019 residents will receive a detailed e-mail via their Georgia State e-mail account confirming their move-in date and time. All residents have until the first day of classes on Monday, January 14, 2019 at 9 a.m. to check into their residence hall assignment before being considered a no show. If a resident plans to arrive after January 14, 2019, they should contact University Housing. The spring 2019 move-in dates are:
New International Residents: Tuesday, January 8, 2019
New Residents: Friday, January 11, 2019
Returning Residents: Saturday and Sunday. January 12-13, 2019
During move-in, University Housing staff will guide students to the proper unloading locations in the parking decks and check in areas. We know this is an exciting time for you and your family; as a staff we will do everything we can to help you get moved in to your new home efficiently. University Housing will have a limited number of large bins available for $15 per hour and small bins for $10 per hour. It is encouraged that you bring your own hand trucks or equipment to facilitate the move-in process.
- For unloading, please report to the following locations:
- University Commons: Commons Parking Deck (entrance on John Wesley Dobbs Ave)
- Piedmont North: Piedmont North Parking Deck (entrance on Piedmont Ave NE)
- University Lofts: Lofts Parking Deck (entrance on Piedmont Ave NE)
- Patton Hall & Greek Housing: Entrance on Piedmont Ave NE
- Piedmont Central: Entrance on John Wesley Dobbs Ave
When arriving at the unloading area, we request that only the student check in at the Community Desk or Lobby area while the driver secures a parking place for unloading. A photo ID (preferably, a Panther ID for students) should be available to facilitate the check in process.
After unloading, students will be required to move their vehicle to a local city pay parking lot. Please see list of non-Georgia State University affiliated parking options that are close in proximity to campus. Be sure to have cash on hand to cover the public parking fee. Students interested in parking in the Piedmont North or University Commons parking deck for the spring semester may contact the Housing Office for availability.
After Hours Check In
If you have to arrive after the designated check-in hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.), please follow the procedures below:
- Patton Hall and Greek Housing after-hours check-in: You are welcome to use the Patton Hall turnaround to drop off your belongings and will need to relocate your car to a local city pay parking lot. You can then proceed to the Patton Hall main entrance and check in at the community desk.
- The University Commons after-hours check-in: The parking deck gates will close at 8 p.m. After 8 p.m., you must use the intercom at the Parking Deck to speak to the Commons Security Officer who will provide you with temporary access to enter the parking deck. Drive up to parking level 1 (P1); enter the main double doors and the Community Desk will be on your left. You may proceed to the Community Desk and they will provide you with your apartment key and access card.
- The University Lofts after-hours check-in: The parking deck gate will close at 8pm. After 8pm, you may drive in to the parking deck and proceed to the Community Desk on the first floor. The desk staff will provide you your apartment key. After 8pm, you will not have access to the parking deck until the next morning. Temporarily park your vehicle in the city pay parking lot across the street from the Lofts. Go to the front door and knock. The desk staff will provide you with your apartment key and access card. After unloading, you will need to park your vehicle at the pay lot across the street for the night if you do not have your own access to the parking deck.
- Piedmont Central after-hours check-in: You are welcome to use the Piedmont Central driveway to drop off your belongings and will need to relocate your car to a local city pay parking lot. You can then proceed to the Piedmont Central main entrance and check in at the community desk.
- Piedmont North after-hours check-in: The parking deck gate will close at 8 p.m. After 8 p.m., you may park temporarily in the surface lot spaces in front of Piedmont North A. You may then proceed to the Community Desk of your assigned residence hall where you will receive your key and access cards. Upon unloading, you need to relocate your car to a local city pay parking lot nearby.
What Should You Bring?
Packing for your campus apartment or room can be a lot of fun, but be mindful not to pack too much. There is limited space in the residence halls and there is no extra storage available outside of your assigned space. To conserve space, it is a good idea to consider sharing larger items with your roommates. Contact your roommates prior to coming to campus so that you can agree upon the items that each of you will be responsible for bringing. We encourage you to visit our website for a detailed list of items to bring, items to share and prohibited items.