Move In & Move Out
Welcome Home! We are excited that you will be living with us during the upcoming academic year. You are assigned a move in time frame based on your confirmed housing assignment. You will receive an email in late July / early August via your GSU student account confirming your move-in date and time. If you are unable to move-in at the scheduled times listed below, you may also move-in between Saturday, August 24 through Sunday, August 25. All students have until the first day of classes on Monday, August 26 at 9:00 a.m. to check in to their residence hall assignment before being considered a “no show.” If you plan to arrive after that time, please contact University Housing at 404-413-1800.
When you first arrive, you will notice there will be many students in unloading zones preparing to move in. University Housing staff and volunteers will guide you to the proper unloading locations in the parking decks and check in areas. We know that this is an exciting time for you and your family; as a staff we will do everything we can to help you get moved in to your new home efficiently. The unloading process varies by location – this information will be provided upon arrival. University Housing will have a limited number of large bins available for $15/hour and small bins for $10/hour. It is encouraged that you bring your own hand trucks or any equipment needed to facilitate your move-in process.
For unloading, please report to the following locations:
- University Commons: Commons Parking Deck (entrance on John Wesley Dobbs Ave)
- Piedmont North: Piedmont North Parking Deck (entrance on Piedmont Ave NE)
- University Lofts: Lofts Parking Deck (entrance on Piedmont Ave NE)
- Patton Hall & Greek Housing: Entrance on Piedmont Ave NE
- Piedmont Central: Entrance on John Wesley Dobbs Ave
After unloading, you will be required to move your vehicle to a local city pay parking lot. Please follow this link: http://parking.gsu.edu/campus-parking for a list of non-affiliated parking options that are close in proximity to campus. Be sure to have cash on hand to cover the public parking fee.
University Commons, Piedmont North and Piedmont Central residents that will require parking MUST apply for parking online using MyHousing portal prior to picking up a hangtag (https://myhousing.gsu.edu). University Housing Parking Permits will activate on Thursday, August 22 at 8 p.m.
Parking hangtag pickup will be located in the lobby area of University Commons, Piedmont North and Piedmont Central during the following times:
- Wednesday August 21, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday August 22, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Friday August 23, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
If you need to arrive after the designated check-in hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.), please follow the procedures below:
- Patton Hall and Greek Housing after-hours check-in: You are welcome to use the Patton Hall turnaround to drop off your belongings and will need to relocate your car to a local city pay parking lot. You can then proceed to the Patton Hall main entrance and check in at the community desk.
- The University Commons after-hours check-in: The parking deck gates will close at 8 p.m. After 8 p.m., you must use the intercom at the Parking Deck to speak to the Commons Security Officer who will provide you with temporary access to enter the parking deck. Drive up to parking level 1 (P1); enter the main double doors and the Community Desk will be on your left. You may proceed to the Community Desk and they will provide you with your apartment key and access card.
- The University Lofts after-hours check-in: The parking deck gate will close at 8pm. After 8pm, you will only be able to access the parking deck if you already have access from Auxiliary Services. There is meter parking spaces on Edgewood Ave alongside the University Lofts as well as a city pay parking lot across the street from the Lofts. Proceed to the Community Desk on the first floor. The desk staff will provide you with your apartment key and access card.
- Piedmont Central after-hours check-in: The gates to the unloading area will close at 8 p.m. After 8 p.m., you will need to locate a local city pay parking lot to unload. There is one across the street from Piedmont Central. You can then proceed to the Piedmont Central main entrance and check in at the community desk.
- Piedmont North after-hours check-in: The parking deck gate will close at 8 p.m. After 8 p.m., you may park temporarily in the surface lot spaces in front of Piedmont North A. You may then proceed to the Community Desk of your assigned residence hall where you will receive your key and access cards. Upon unloading, you need to relocate your car to a local city pay parking lot nearby
Packing for your campus apartment or room can be a lot of fun, but be mindful not to pack too much. There is limited space in the residence halls, and there is no extra storage available outside of your assigned space. To conserve space, it is a good idea to consider sharing larger items with your roommates. You should contact your roommates prior to coming to campus, so that you can agree upon the items that each of you will be responsible for bringing. We encourage you to visit MyHousing website for a detailed list of items to bring, items to share and prohibited items