University Housing follows the fire protection codes of the National Fire Protection Association, the National Fire Codes and the Fire Prevention Codes. The fire safety system is designed to detect any potential threat to the facilities and residents. Any excessive smoke can activate the system. The system is also designed to extinguish fires as quickly as possible. When the system detects a fire, the sprinkler head will activate and release 35 gallons of water per minute until the system is manually reset. This volume of water can cause extreme facility damage that is very costly. Do not tamper with or touch a sprinkler head. Residents will be responsible for any restitution to residents and the University as a result of the activation of a sprinkler head.
The following items are prohibited from the residence halls: any type of candle, incense, potpourri burners, flammable liquids (i.e., gasoline, propane, and kerosene), space heaters and any other openflame items. Open-flame grilling is allowed only outside on the grills in the courtyards. Coals must be cooled and disposed of properly.
Tampering with and/or the misuse of fire and safety equipment (including, but not limited to, fire alarms, door alarms, fire extinguishers, exit signs, emergency phones, fire doors, smoke or heat sensors, sprinkler system, etc.) is prohibited by law.
- All students residing in University Housing must complete the Fire Safety Module on iCollege (https://gastate.view.usg.edu/)
- Residents must receive at least an 88% on the assessment
- Failure to complete the module, or receive the minimum grade, will result in disciplinary action or possible removal from University Housing
- Never leave cooking food unattended. If you must leave the kitchen while cooking, turn off the stove.
- Grease fires must never be extinguished by water. Serious injuries will occur. Take the burning grease off the stove with an oven mitt and place the pan in the sink.
- Never use flour or water to extinguish a cooking fire. Flour is combustible and water can spread the fire.
- Should a pan fire occur, use a fire extinguisher, baking soda, or a tight-fitting metal lid to extinguish the fire. If the fire has spread already beyond the pan, get out immediately and call the University Police at (404) 413-3333.
- Your fire extinguisher is located under your kitchen sink. Submit a maintenance request for replacement if your extinguisher is missing or has been used.
- Never attempt to carry a burning pan out of the kitchen area; severe burns could result and the fire could spread.
- Keep pan handles turned inwards so they are not accidentally bumped.
- Do not wear clothing with loose sleeves while cooking.
- Make sure there are not any combustible objects such as dishtowels, potholders, decorations or boxes on or near the stove.
- Keep the stove clean. Do not allow grease to accumulate on cooking surfaces.
- Be sure to remove any food or grease that spills inside the oven.
- If there is a fire in the oven, turn off the oven and allow the fire to go out completely before opening the oven door.
- If a fire breaks out in a microwave oven, keep the door closed and unplug the unit. Don't try to remove burning containers from a microwave.
- If a fire breaks out in your apartment, no matter what size, call the University Police at (404) 413-3333.