Move In & Move Out
Maymester 2017 Closing
All residents are required to vacate their residence halls 24-hours after their last exam. All Maymester only residents will be moved out no later than Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 12 p.m.
How to Formally Checkout of Your Room:
- All belongings have been removed from the room – all drawers, cabinets, shelves, etc. are empty and clean (you will NOT have access to rooms upon checking out, don’t forget anything!)
- Remove garbage in or around the room and sweep and wipe all surfaces and floors
- Leave air conditioner running on 70 degrees cool
- Complete all cleaning tasks on the cleaning agreement.
- Return your assigned room key, mailroom key (if assigned), and access card at check out
Lofts Parking Deck and After-Hours Check Out
The parking deck gates will be open on June 3 & 4 from 9 a.m. until 8 p.m. On June 3 & 4 after 8 p.m., those without a parking pass will not have access to the parking deck. It is suggested that family or friends helping you move, park their vehicles in the city pay parking lot across the street from the Lofts. Do not park your vehicle in the Grady Oncology parking lot next to the building, as it will be towed.
Summer move-in is scheduled for Saturday, June 3 and Sunday, June 4 beginning at 8 a.m. each day. Please do not arrive before 8 a.m. on Saturday, June 3.
When residents arrive for check in, their first stop will be the check in station location inside the University Lofts lounge, which is located on the first floor of the University Lofts by the community desk. This is where residents will pick up their room key, access card and check in paperwork. In order to check in, residents will need their Panther ID card (new students will be able to use a U.S. state issued identification card, such as a driver’s license or military ID) for identity verification, so residents should be sure to have this with them when they arrive for check in.
Once residents arrive at the check-in area, University Housing requests that the resident be the only person who checks in while the driver secures a parking place to unload from. Residents should not begin to unload their belongings before they have picked up their key and access card.
In an effort to facilitate residents’ move in, the Lofts Parking Deck will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday for unloading. Please contact Campus Services at 404-413-9500 for information on parking outside of these hours. University Housing requests that unloading be completed in one hour for student vehicles that are not registered to park in the Lofts parking decks.
Move in bins can be rented for a charge of $15.00 per hour. University Housing uses this program as a fundraiser for student activities throughout the academic year. Bin rental will be available on Saturday, June 3 from 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Sunday, June 4 from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. All bins must be returned before the closing time on each day.
If you arrive after the designated check-in hours, please follow these procedures: After 8:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, you will not have access to the Lofts Parking Deck. Temporarily park your vehicle in the pay parking lot across the street from the Lofts. Go to the front door and knock. The desk staff will provide you with your apartment key and access car. After unloading, you will need to park your vehicle at the pay lot across the street for the night if you do not have your own access to the parking deck.
Fall 2017 Move-In
Welcome Home! We are excited that you will be living with us during the upcoming academic year. You are assigned a move in time frame based on your confirmed housing assignment. You will receive an email in late July / early August via your GSU student account confirming your move-in date and time. If you are unable to move-in at the scheduled times listed above, you may also move-in between Saturday, August 19 through Sunday, August 20. All students have until the first day of classes on Monday, August 21 at 9:00 a.m. to check in to their residence hall assignment before being considered a “no show.” If you plan to arrive after that time, please contact University Housing at email@example.com by Friday, August 18, 2017.
When you first arrive, you will notice there will be many students in unloading zones preparing to move in. University Housing staff and volunteers will guide you to the proper unloading locations in the parking decks and check in areas. We know that this is an exciting time for you and your family; as a staff we will do everything we can to help you get moved in to your new home efficiently. Unloading time varies by location – this information will be provided upon arrival. University Housing will have a limited number of large bins available for $15/hour and small bins for $10/hour. The students use this program as a fundraiser for planning activities during the academic year. It is encouraged that you bring your own hand trucks or equipment to facilitate the move-in process.
For unloading, please report to the following locations:
- University Commons: Commons Parking Deck (entrance on John Wesley Dobbs Ave)
- Piedmont North: Piedmont North Parking Deck (entrance on Piedmont Ave NE)
- University Lofts: Lofts Parking Deck (entrance on Piedmont Ave NE)
- Patton Hall & Greek Housing: Entrance on Piedmont Ave NE
- Piedmont Central: Entrance on John Wesley Dobbs Ave
Once you arrive at the unloading area, we request that only the student check in at the Community Desk / Lobby area while the driver secures a parking place for unloading. A photo ID (Panther ID preferably for students) should be handy to facilitate the check in process.
After unloading, you will be required to move your vehicle to a local city pay parking lot. Please follow this link: http://parking.gsu.edu/campus-parking for a list of non-affiliated parking options that are close in proximity to campus. Be sure to have cash on hand to cover the public parking fee.
Parking Hangtag Pick-up for Piedmont North and University Commons Parking
University Commons, Piedmont North and Piedmont Central residents that will require parking MUST apply for parking online prior to picking up a hangtag. University Housing Parking Permits will begin on Thursday, August 17 at 8 p.m.
Parking hangtag pickup will be located in the lobby area of University Commons, Piedmont North and Piedmont Central during the following times:
- Wednesday August 16, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday August 17, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Friday August 18, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
After Hours Check In
If you have to arrive after the designated check-in hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.), please follow the procedures below:
- Patton Hall and Greek Housing after-hours check-in: You are welcome to use the Patton Hall turnaround to drop off your belongings and will need to relocate your car to a local city pay parking lot. You can then proceed to the Patton Hall main entrance and check in at the community desk.
- The University Commons after-hours check-in: The parking deck gates will close at 8 p.m. After 8 p.m., you must use the intercom at the Parking Deck to speak to the Commons Security Officer who will provide you with temporary access to enter the parking deck. Drive up to parking level 1 (P1); enter the main double doors and the Community Desk will be on your left. You may proceed to the Community Desk and they will provide you with your apartment key and access card.
- The University Lofts after-hours check-in: The parking deck gate will close at 8pm. After 8pm, you may drive in to the parking deck and proceed to the Community Desk on the first floor. The desk staff will provide you your apartment key. After 8pm, you will not have access to the parking deck until the next morning. Temporarily park your vehicle in the city pay parking lot across the street from the Lofts. Go to the front door and knock. The desk staff will provide you with your apartment key and access card. After unloading, you will need to park your vehicle at the pay lot across the street for the night if you do not have your own access to the parking deck.
- Piedmont Central after-hours check-in: You are welcome to use the Piedmont Central driveway to drop off your belongings and will need to relocate your car to a local city pay parking lot. You can then proceed to the Piedmont Central main entrance and check in at the community desk.
- Piedmont North after-hours check-in: The parking deck gate will close at 8 p.m. After 8 p.m., you may park temporarily in the surface lot spaces in front of Piedmont North A. You may then proceed to the Community Desk of your assigned residence hall where you will receive your key and access cards. Upon unloading, you need to relocate your car to a local city pay parking lot nearby.
What Should You Bring?
Packing for your campus apartment or room can be a lot of fun, but be mindful not to pack too much. There is limited space in the residence halls, and there is no extra storage available outside of your assigned space. To conserve space, it is a good idea to consider sharing larger items with your roommates. You should contact your roommates prior to coming to campus, so that you can agree upon the items that each of you will be responsible for bringing. We encourage you to visit our website at myhousing.gsu.edu for a detailed list of items to bring, items to share and prohibited items.