A Cultural Experience in New York City

Posted On February 8, 2016
Categories Uncategorized

The Social Issues Living Learning Community (LLC) in University Housing hosted a four-day trip to New York City for nine residents over the winter break. The trip created an opportunity to engage residents in the needs and concerns of larger communities outside their own.

While in New York the residents received a unique opportunity to connect with two successful Georgia State University alumnus, Adam Phillips and Jasna Hasanbasic. Adam Phillips, United Nations employee, arranged a custom tour of the United Nations (U.N) headquarters where the students spent time learning how the U.N addresses issues such as disarmament, peace and security, and human and civil rights. Jasna Hasanbasic, Associate at Kirkland and Ellis, engaged the residents in dialogue around achieving goals despite socioeconomic circumstances.

As a pre-law major, I was honored to have had a chance to meet with Adam and Jasna as they enlightened not only my residents but myself as well on how to achieve a level of success that you can only imagine as a college student. They inspired me to remain dedicated and hardworking in order to reach my goals in life. I truly appreciated this opportunity because chances like this don’t come by often, so I am blessed to have had the chance to be a part of it.

–Yakira Sadler, junior

While residing in the heart of Times Square, the residents were able to see the live Broadway musical, “School of Rock.” Through the utilization of the NYC subway, residents engaged in dialogue on the growing social issues of public transportation. They were also exposed to a different perspective of culture and history at the Museum of Modern Art and the Brooklyn Museum, where they viewed live art being made within the Coney Island Exhibit.

Through exploration of New York’s various various sub sectors of cultures in Harlem, Little Chinatown, Little Italy, Manhattan, and Brooklyn the residents were able to witness and address issues such as race relations and public housing cuts.

The Social Issues Faculty Fellow and Associate Professor of Political Science, Dr. Henry Carey, and Lisa Thurmond, Coordinator of Residential Learning Initiatives, accompanied the residents on the trip. Each LLC has a designated faculty member that engages the residents in social and academic activities outside of the classroom.

New York had to be one of the best experiences in my life! We learned so much in only a few days. Every moment was an opportunity to learn.

– Dej McClung, freshman social issues resident

Twitter